Sunday, July 15, 2007

Le Tour 2007 - Stage 14

Stage 14 - Mazamet - Plateau de Beille - 123 miles

Pictures at http://letour2007live.blogspot.com

We're in the Pyrenees. I've been looking forward and dreading this for quite some time. Analysts of this year's tour route claim that the Alps stages are easier than normal and the Pyrenees stages harder than normal. Indeed, the stage ratings gave the hardest Alps stage (Stage 8) an 8/10 difficulty, while Stages 14,15, and 16 in the Pyrenees are rated 9, 10, and 10 respectively. Needless to say, I'm frightened and my legs are anything but fresh. But, we're in the Pyrenees, so let's get started. The stage starts immediately with a 2000 foot, Cat 2 climb directly out of Mazamet. Indeed, the "neutral zone" before the race even starts takes the riders about 1/3 of the way up the hill before the racing starts. Of course, it's all the same to us, the neutral zone is just a nuisance to us as it just means extra mileage. We take it quite easy and the morning is quite warm; no need for arm warmers or vest even at 7am. It appears the cold weather is finally behind us, will we miss it? The ride is beautiful, but uneventful through 75 miles where we hit the first hors-categorie climb of the day, the Port de Pailheres. This climb is 17K at 7.2%, but with numerous flat and even downhill stretches, the real climbing is actually almost always over 8%. It was on this climb in 2005 that Lance Armstrong struggled as his entire team cracked near the bottom and Lance was left isolated and T-Mobile attacked him relentlessly. I understand why Discovery faltered - despite the relatively benign stats, this climb is hard! Whenever I looked at my GPS altimeter I saw 10, 11, 12% grade. The climb was very exposed and it was very hot, the campervan reported 37C (100F). I struggled over the top, not at all encouraged that this first HC climb of the Pyrenees was so difficult and dreaded the summit finish at Plateau de Beille which would start immediately after the descent down the Port de Pailheres. The Plateau de Beille is a famous Tour de France climb that is 16K (10 miles) long and averages 8%. Considering how I felt on the 7% Port de Pailheres and that the Plateau de Beille started with 113 miles in the legs, I was quite worried. Matt called it a day after Port de Pailheres and was driving the van and he gave me a Coke about 1/3 of the way up. Unlike the Port de Pailheres the climb was a very steady grade at 8% the entire way and I found my tempo and cruised (slowly) to the top. First Pyrenean stage finished and it was HARD. Nearly nine hours in the saddle for just 123 miles. I just need to survive Stage 15 and we get a rest day

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?