Sunday, July 01, 2007

Le Tour 2007 - Stages Prologue through Stage 4

Pictures at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kyleyost/sets/72157600685944637/

Time and bandwidth are in short supply, but a quick update.

I've decided to try and ride through the broken collarbone and various other ailments and have successfully ridden the prologue and stages 1,2, and 4 - wisely, I think, taking a pass on Stage 3. The collarbone has not been giving me serious problems - I just need to make sure I don't go down again. The back is making life hard, both on and off the bike, but is definitely improving. I finally had a good nights sleep last night! And, now the road rash injuries are the worst of all - nasty messes those things. How I'm going to keep them out of the sun the next weeks I have no idea. Days are long. There is little time to do anything post-stage but clean up, eat, transfer to following day start and go to sleep.

Here's a summary of the week written for Mark's blog: http://letour2007live.blogspot.com/. As we have very limited bandwidth, only his site will have any pictures, and his site will likely be updated with content much more frequently, so check there for latest updates. Amy also has a site at http://amsadventures.blogspot.com/.

Update 7/1/2007
Today was an outstanding day of riding – definitely what I had in mind when I pictured riding in France and a far cry from the stages in England and Belgium. Laura, Amy, Mark, and I worked well together into a steady head and crosswind for the 125 mile stage, and the roads were remote, scenic, in excellent condition - and we passed more than a few sunflower seeds with the sunflowers in full bloom – an awesome sight! Other than stage 2 in Belgium, little is actually flat as both Stage 1 (122 miles) and today (125 miles) have had over 6000 feet of climbing. Certainly not bad, but not exactly pancake flat either. Tomorrow the real climbing starts with Stage 5. Although not a true mountain stage, tomorrow’s stage is considered the toughest outside of the mountains at 125 miles with four Cat 4 climbs, three Cat 3, and a Cat 2 climb which is a 3000 foot ascent over Haut Folin. This should be our first real sampling of just how bad the climbing will be. The little Cat 4’s we’ve encountered so far and which have only been thrown in to distribute some minor King of Mountain points and give someone the jersey for the early stages certainly have seemed like “proper climbs” to me. I fear the real mountains may be a bit more than I’ve anticipated.

For those wondering about my injuries and my crash. I decided on Wednesday that I could ride one-handed and at least manage the 5 mile prologue. The thought of missing this epic stage in London was too much for me. Well, this stubborn idea was a bad one, but luckily it worked out with no crashed or further damage done, but riding one handed in rush hour London traffic in a downpour navigating buses and taxis driving on the wrong side of the road was not on the agenda. So, like it or not I was forced to really test the back and broken collar bone on the bike, and surprisingly it wasn’t such a problem. I could hold the bars and brake and shift without pain, but my back was the biggest problem. I survived the prologue and figured I’d start the 127 mile stage out of London the next day and see how it felt. It was tough and I was in a good deal of pain and any bump or crack in the road was to be avoided or the impact absorbed with the legs, but I got through the day. I held up the group a bit and was in a world of hurt by the end, but I got through it. Stage 2, a 110 mile slog in Belgium was simply miserable. Cold, 30+ mph winds and a steady rain made for a miserable day as I had no booties or long-fingered gloves. And the roads chosen for the stage may have been fine when closed for the 200 person peloton, but for a group of 4 it was not fun as we were primarily on shoulders of major roads with trucks and cars flying past. One of our Tour magazines gave the stage a 2/10 scenic rating, but with a caveat: 0/10 if it’s raining. Well, it was cold, windy, and pouring. Not fun, and the day ended with my 2nd puncture of the ride. We’d more than covered the stage distance (having ridden from the campsite to the start) and just called the van to us to end the day. I decided it may be prudent to skip Stage 3 as my back gave me great difficulties on the first 2 stages and was preventing me from sleeping nights. I still needed assistance getting on and off the bike and out of bed and in/out of the campervan, etc… and the 148 mile stage looked to be on more heavily trafficked miserable roads and the thought of bumping and bouncing around for that duration seemed a poor means to help the back heal. And, as Laura was arriving that day and the campervan needed to be diverted to Brussels to pick her up, I jumped at the excuse to skip the unappealing day in the saddle. The choice turned out to be a prudent one as my back improved nicely with a day off the bike.

It’s been one week since my crash and Stage 5 is tomorrow. I am far from being back to my old self on the bike, but I’m far better off today than earlier in the week. The collar bone is giving me surprisingly little trouble and pain (aside from the occasional jolt of pain on some bumps), and the back seems now to be mending quickly. I still cannot generate much power and cannot get out of the saddle, but the improvements are noticeable by the day and I hope to be at full power by the mountains next week. Today was the first day where I felt like I was riding and not just somehow or other forcing the pedals around. Thanks for all the well wishes and I plan to keep the rubber side down from here on out! Wish me luck!

Comments:
you are nuts. wlyb?
 
Kyle,

Thanks for the update. Sounds as though you are being somewhat prudent with the collarbone. Having broken two, I would be concerned about the affect of the jarring on the healing. Take care. Bob W.
 
Man, you brought a huge can of suck-it-up with you, nice. Maybe you need a new challenge, I think I'll have someone crack your bars again like DC week last year.

Here's wishing you another Happy Ending.
 
you're a stud. I can't believe you're riding, but I'm cheering for you. Remember, Lance got up Alpe D'Huez in 36 minutes. You're hurt, so don't feel bad if it takes you over 40.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?